Baquer Namazi, an 85-year-old Iranian American who was jailed in Iran on spying charges the United States called baseless, is now in Abu Dhabi and will soon receive urgent medical care, according to Secretary of State Antony Blinken
Namazi, who had been detained since 2016, travelled to Abu Dhabi after departing Iran for Muscat, Blinken said in a statement.
The video showed him struggling to climb the stairs to board the plane, on which the light blue insignia of the Royal Air Force of Oman could be seen. Namazi was convicted in 2016 of "collaboration with a hostile government" and jailed for 10 years. Iranian authorities released him on medical grounds in 2018 and closed his case in 2020, commuting his sentence to time served.
"While getting my father out of Iran is incredibly important, today is also bittersweet. My brother Siamak as well as Americans Emad and Morad Tahbaz remain detained in Iran and our nightmare will not be over until our entire family the other Americans are reunited with their families," he said.
Österreich Neuesten Nachrichten, Österreich Schlagzeilen
Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.
American citizen Baquer Namazi leaves Iran after being held for more than six years | CNN PoliticsBaquer Namazi, an elderly American wrongfully detained in Iran, is on his way out of the country for surgery in the United Arab Emirates, his family said in a statement on Wednesday.
Weiterlesen »
Iran allows ailing American Baquer Namazi to leave the country for treatmentBaquer Namazi, an 85-year-old American and former U.N. official, was allowed to leave Iran today after being held there for more than 6 years.
Weiterlesen »
Iranian American departs Iran after 7 years in captivityBaquer Namazi, an 85-year-old Iranian American and a retired U.N. official, held captive by Iran for seven years departed the country on Wednesday after being released to receive emergency surgery, his family said.
Weiterlesen »
Detained Iranian-American, 85, leaves Iran for major surgeryAn 85-year-old Iranian-American held by Iran over internationally criticized spying charges left the country Wednesday for Oman, officials said, after increasing pressure to free him amid his struggles with poor health. The release of Baquer Namazi marks the first American to be freed by Iran since President Joe Biden took office, even as talks over Tehran's tattered nuclear deal with world powers have stalled. Iran long has used detained Westerners or those with ties abroad as bargaining chips in negotiations.
Weiterlesen »
Iranian-American, 85, held in Tehran for six years leaves IranBaquer Namazi, an 85-year-old Iranian American who was jailed in Iran on spying charges the United States called baseless, is now in Abu Dhabi and will soon receive urgent medical care, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Wednesday.
Weiterlesen »