How Libya's Haftar blindsided world powers with advance on Tripoli

Österreich Nachrichten Nachrichten

How Libya's Haftar blindsided world powers with advance on Tripoli
Österreich Neuesten Nachrichten,Österreich Schlagzeilen
  • 📰 Reuters
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 72 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 32%
  • Publisher: 97%

Western diplomats sat down for three hours with Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar ...

TUNIS - Western diplomats sat down for three hours with Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar in his eastern stronghold last month to try to dissuade him from launching an offensive against the internationally recognized government in Tripoli.

Two weeks later, on April 4, he sent troops from his self-styled Libyan National Army streaming towards Tripoli - just at a time when U.N Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was in the city to prepare for a national reconciliation conference this month which Guterres’ aides thought Haftar supported. The diplomats’ calls for military restraint in the meeting last month had echoed those from other Western and U.N. envoys who had traveled to Haftar’s base outside the city of Benghazi in the preceding weeks, four separate diplomatic sources said.

When he first announced his intentions in February 2014 he stood in front of a map of Libya, a somber-looking, gray-haired man wearing an immaculate army uniform, and vowed to stage a coup. But on the ground Haftar was struggling to make progress in his initial campaign launched in May 2014 against Islamist militants in Benghazi, which he dubbed “Operation Dignity”. His heavy guns and aircraft flattened residential buildings but could not dislodge the foreign jihadists holed up in booby-trapped houses.

In 2017, French President Emmanuel Macron received Haftar and the U.N.-backed Libyan prime minister, Fayez al-Serraj, on the outskirts of Paris to try to persuade them to make a deal, which instantly upgraded the general’s diplomatic status. He was referring to the general’s campaign to take the south of the country earlier this year, the source said.

Wir haben diese Nachrichten zusammengefasst, damit Sie sie schnell lesen können. Wenn Sie sich für die Nachrichten interessieren, können Sie den vollständigen Text hier lesen. Weiterlesen:

Reuters /  🏆 2. in US

Österreich Neuesten Nachrichten, Österreich Schlagzeilen

Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.

Libya army leader Khalifa Haftar orders forces to march on TripoliLibya army leader Khalifa Haftar orders forces to march on TripoliThe order to his Libyan National Army came as U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres visited the North African country and issued 'a very strong appeal ... for all military movements to stop.'
Weiterlesen »

Khalifa Haftar, Libya’s strongest warlord, makes a push for TripoliKhalifa Haftar, Libya’s strongest warlord, makes a push for TripoliPlans for a UN peace conference are in disarray amid fears of a bloody battle for the capital
Weiterlesen »

Libya's Haftar orders forces to march to TripoliLibya's Haftar orders forces to march to TripoliUN calls for restraint as strongman Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army takes Gharyan town from forces allied to Tripoli Prime Minister Fayez al Serraj.
Weiterlesen »

Pro-Haftar forces seize villages, former Tripoli airport in fresh fightingPro-Haftar forces seize villages, former Tripoli airport in fresh fightingUN chief Antonio Guterres leaves country with 'heavy heart' after failed talks with military strongman Khalifa Haftar whose troops are trying to march to Tripoli, seat of the internationally recognised unity government.
Weiterlesen »

Haftar forces conduct air strike on Tripoli as U.N. calls for truceHaftar forces conduct air strike on Tripoli as U.N. calls for truceEastern Libyan forces carried out an air strike on the southern part of Tripoli ...
Weiterlesen »

Pro-Haftar forces pushed back near Libya capitalPro-Haftar forces pushed back near Libya capitalLibyan strongman Khalifa Haftar's forces were pushed back on Friday from a key checkpoint just 27 kilometres from Tripoli, stopping their advance on the capital.
Weiterlesen »

Libyan general's push to capture Tripoli raises fears of another civil warLibyan general's push to capture Tripoli raises fears of another civil warMilitias in western Libya fought forces under rival army commander Khalifa Haftar on Friday, a day after he declared an offensive to seize Tripoli, the capital of the oil-rich nation.
Weiterlesen »

Eastern Libyan commander orders forces to move on TripoliEastern Libyan commander orders forces to move on TripoliEastern Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar ordered his troops on Thursday to march ...
Weiterlesen »

‘Too strong to fail, too weak to control’: How Haftar got his support‘Too strong to fail, too weak to control’: How Haftar got his supportLibya’s General Haftar has become powerful enough to move on Tripoli and he owes that strength to a group of international backers who peddle the narrative that he is fighting terrorism.
Weiterlesen »

Eastern Libyan forces ordered to move west to fight militantsEastern Libyan forces ordered to move west to fight militantsForces loyal to eastern Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar have been ordered to mov...
Weiterlesen »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 07:14:30