With the backing of Gulf and European states, and even Salafi militias - Can Libya's Haftar take control of the country?
When Khalifa Haftar returned to Libya after the overthrow of Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, he found no support inside or outside the country. to take over the internationally-recognised government based in Tripoli in February 2014.
As a political and military operator, Haftar has also not shown hesitation in taking advantage of his opponent’s campaigns against Daesh terrorists for his own benefit. “It took only six weeks for Haftar to attract the United Arab Emirates’s extensive military and financial support, after Haftar’s failed attempt to takeover the unity government in Tripoli,” said Krieg, explaining that under the pretext of fighting terrorism, Haftar was able to take out all opposition.
Libyan General Brigadier General Mohammad al Qunidi, chief of the military intelligence loyal to Prime Minister Fayiz al Sarraa,Haftar’s most recent offensive on Tripoli was being conducted with Egyptian, Emirati, and Saudi arms.
Österreich Neuesten Nachrichten, Österreich Schlagzeilen
Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.
Eastern Libyan forces ordered to move west to fight militantsForces loyal to eastern Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar have been ordered to mov...
Weiterlesen »
Eastern Libya forces move west, talk about 'terrorism' missionForces loyal to eastern Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar have moved forces toward...
Weiterlesen »
Libya's Haftar orders forces to march to TripoliUN calls for restraint as strongman Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army takes Gharyan town from forces allied to Tripoli Prime Minister Fayez al Serraj.
Weiterlesen »
Eastern Libyan commander orders forces to move on TripoliEastern Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar ordered his troops on Thursday to march ...
Weiterlesen »
Libya army leader Khalifa Haftar orders forces to march on TripoliThe order to his Libyan National Army came as U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres visited the North African country and issued 'a very strong appeal ... for all military movements to stop.'
Weiterlesen »
Pro-Haftar forces pushed back near Libya capitalLibyan strongman Khalifa Haftar's forces were pushed back on Friday from a key checkpoint just 27 kilometres from Tripoli, stopping their advance on the capital.
Weiterlesen »
Khalifa Haftar, Libya’s strongest warlord, makes a push for TripoliPlans for a UN peace conference are in disarray amid fears of a bloody battle for the capital
Weiterlesen »
Pro-Haftar forces seize villages, former Tripoli airport in fresh fightingUN chief Antonio Guterres leaves country with 'heavy heart' after failed talks with military strongman Khalifa Haftar whose troops are trying to march to Tripoli, seat of the internationally recognised unity government.
Weiterlesen »
Haftar forces conduct air strike on Tripoli as U.N. calls for truceEastern Libyan forces carried out an air strike on the southern part of Tripoli ...
Weiterlesen »
Libyan PM accuses army leader of betrayalLibya's Prime Minister Fayez al Sarraj accused Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar of 'betraying' him while anti-government forces had earlier said they had been targeted by an air strike.
Weiterlesen »