Peel Ports says Unite rejected a 'significant' package but the union says it was a real-terms pay cut.
Hundreds of dock workers have begun a strike in a dispute over pay.Peel Ports Group, which operates the port, said workers had rejected a "significant pay package" which included an 8.3% rise and a one-off payment of £750.
Unite said it was a real-terms pay cut because of the rate of inflation and Peel could afford a higher increase. The union's general secretary Sharon Graham said: "Workers across the country are sick to death of being told to take a hit on their wages and living standards while employer after employer is guilty of rampant profiteering."
She said the port's owners needed to table a "reasonable offer and fulfil its previous pay promises".Sharing a video on Unite's Twitter page, former Liverpool footballer Jamie Carragher said he was "fully behind" the strike.David Huck, the port's chief operating officer, said: "I am deeply disappointed Unite has rejected our significant pay package after many months of negotiation.
Österreich Neuesten Nachrichten, Österreich Schlagzeilen
Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.
Fresh 24 hour rail strikes will take place on October 1 and 5Further railway strikes will take place next month, bringing the country to ‘an effective standstill’.
Weiterlesen »
David Beckham pays tribute to 'inspirational and caring leader' QueenDavid Beckham has once again paid tribute to Queen Elizabeth on the day of the late monarch's funeral, after queueing over 14 hours to pay his respects last week
Weiterlesen »
Queen’s final journey: Royals march by her side as coffin makes its way from Westminster Abbey to Windsor CastleThe Queen's final journey through the streets of London has begun with her grief-stricken family by her side and thousands of mourners lining the route.
Weiterlesen »
Preston North End midfielder set to play 'greatest of all time' and youngsters could clash as internationals loomPreston North End have eight players away from the club during the two week international break from this week.
Weiterlesen »
Liverpool to 'try again' in 2023 for Real Madrid star after late €100m summer bidFootball365 - Real Madrid 'already know' Liverpool will return for the Uruguay international after their €100m interest in the last two days of the summer window.
Weiterlesen »