Metrolink bailout plan using GMCA reserves revealed as emergency funding ends

Österreich Nachrichten Nachrichten

Metrolink bailout plan using GMCA reserves revealed as emergency funding ends
Österreich Neuesten Nachrichten,Österreich Schlagzeilen
  • 📰 MENnewsdesk
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 94 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 41%
  • Publisher: 69%

Metrolink bailout plan using Greater Manchester Combined Authority reserves revealed as emergency funding ends

Metrolink has unveiled plans to dip into cash reserves of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority to help fund and secure its future, transport bosses have announced.

The move comes as TfGM revealed that despite plummeting passenger numbers during the Covid-19 pandemic, commuter levels over the weekend of the Parklife music festival this year are estimated to have been the highest in Metrolink's 30-year history. Patronage - the number of single journeys made on the network - continues to increase, said TfGM, but 'recovery remains well below pre-Covid levels'.

Now Transport for Greater Manchester has revealed that 'as a last resort, GMCA has sufficient reserves available to temporarily fund Metrolink's forecast net deficit for the remainder of 2022-3'. It's also been recommended that it continues in 2023-4. No actual costings have been revealed, but there's a warning that the reserves 'would subsequently need to be replenished'.

A report by Danny Vaughan, head of Metrolink at TfGM, considered at a meeting on Friday of the Metrolink and rail sub-committee of the Greater Manchester transport committee, says: "A package of funding support from central government has been agreed up to the beginning of October 2022. The Department for Transport /HM Treasury have indicated that no further recovery funding will be provided beyond this point.

Transport Commissioner, Vernon Everitt, said TfGM remains in 'continuous dialogue' with the Government about Metrolink funding and that they were grateful for cash already received. But the report reveals patronage 'has been steadily recovering' since Government restrictions imposed as a result of the pandemic.

The figures, however, show that national events, holiday periods, rail strikes and engineering work - combined with this year's heatwaves which impacted overhead lines and led to temporary speed restrictions and some cancelled services - all hit passenger numbers.

Wir haben diese Nachrichten zusammengefasst, damit Sie sie schnell lesen können. Wenn Sie sich für die Nachrichten interessieren, können Sie den vollständigen Text hier lesen. Weiterlesen:

MENnewsdesk /  🏆 23. in UK

Österreich Neuesten Nachrichten, Österreich Schlagzeilen

Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.

Exact amount households will pay for energy based on size of home under new planExact amount households will pay for energy based on size of home under new planTHE average household will pay £2,500 for their energy bills from October 1 after Liz Truss brought in a price freeze. The new Energy Price Guarantee means households will avoid paying more for the…
Weiterlesen »

The seven factors powering Verstappen's 2022 F1 dominationThe seven factors powering Verstappen's 2022 F1 dominationAfter a tooth and nail and, at times, toxic Formula 1 world championship scrap last year, Max Verstappen's march to a second consecutive title has been the exact opposite. But has he really changed in 2022? Here's a dive into what factors have played a crucial role, both inside the Verstappen camp and elsewhere, in the Dutch driver's domination.
Weiterlesen »

The seven factors powering Verstappen's 2022 F1 dominationThe seven factors powering Verstappen's 2022 F1 dominationAfter a tooth and nail and, at times, toxic Formula 1 world championship scrap last year, Max Verstappen's march to a second consecutive title has been the exact opposite. But has he really changed in 2022? Here's a dive into what factors have played a crucial role, both inside the Verstappen camp and elsewhere, in the Dutch driver's domination
Weiterlesen »

Plans for new grammar schools are being drawn up, Education Secretary confirmsPlans for new grammar schools are being drawn up, Education Secretary confirmsThe Government is drawing up plans to allow new grammar schools, the Education Secretary has revealed, paving the way for an end to their 25-year ban.
Weiterlesen »

Liz Truss's plan for tax cuts to boost economy 'a gamble at best', says leading think tankLiz Truss's plan for tax cuts to boost economy 'a gamble at best', says leading think tankThe IFS has warned that the prime minister is putting the public finances on an 'unsustainable path' with her plan to slash taxes while increasing borrowing to fund energy support packages.
Weiterlesen »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 20:42:34