The U.S. has lifted a ban on Mexican avocado imports after less than a week.
The suspension of inspections had threatened Mexico's $3 billion annual exports and raised the possibility of prices increases for U.S. consumers.
The inspections were halted last week after one of the U.S. inspectors was threatened in the western state of Michoacán, where growers are routinely subject to extortion by drug cartels.The U.S. Department of Agriculture said Thursday that the inspector had received a threat “against him and his family.”
“I am pleased to report that today the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal Plant Health Inspection Service has determined it will immediately resume its avocado inspection program in Michoacán,” Salazar wrote.A worker stacks crates of avocados at a packing plant in Uruapan, Mexico.The week-old ban had already been taking a toll on avocado pickers in Michoacan, who stood on a roadside this week outside the city of Uruapan asking for donations after they lost their work.
Österreich Neuesten Nachrichten, Österreich Schlagzeilen
Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.
After $120 Million in Losses, the U.S. Resumes Avocado Imports From MexicoAfter $120 million in losses, the U.S. resumes avocado imports from Mexico
Weiterlesen »
U.S., Mexico pledge to finish new Otay Mesa border crossing on scheduleOn the U.S. side, construction of the $1 billion dollar project has begun
Weiterlesen »
Robot dogs could soon patrol US-Mexico borderThe Department of Homeland Security is testing new technology to patrol the border. While the devices look like robot dogs, they are officially known as “automated ground surveillance vehicles.”
Weiterlesen »
US: Russian troops already in Ukraine's Donbas, no plans to send US forcesAs reports emerge of Russian peacekeeping units entering Ukraine's Donbas, a senior administration official said 'Russia has occupied these regions since 2014.'
Weiterlesen »
U.S. Women’s Soccer Players, U.S. Soccer Federation Reach $24 Million Equal Pay SettlementThe U.S. Soccer Federation and dozens of members of the women’s national team who sued it for gender discrimination reached a $24 million settlement agreement.
Weiterlesen »
US women's soccer players settle suit with US Soccer for $24MThe U.S. Soccer Federation agreed to a payment of $24 million, $22 million of which will go to the players. That figure is about one-third of what they had sought in damages.
Weiterlesen »