Family members of some of the people killed or wounded during a 2019 shooting at a California garlic festival are suing the companies that distributed the rifle used in the attack, saying they did not take sufficient care to prevent misuse of the firearm.
are suing the companies that distributed the rifle used in the attack, saying they did not take sufficient care to prevent misuse of the firearm.
Two similar lawsuits filed in U.S. District Court in Vermont on July 28 allege that manufacturer Century International Arms and Romanian firearm producer ROMARM failed to adopt reasonable safeguards that "enabled a dangerous individual operating in and around California" to legally acquire the firearm in Nevada, take it to California and use it in the attack at the Gilroy Garlic Festival that killed three and wounded 17.
"Defendants knowingly breached the duty to exercise the highest degree of reasonable care in preventing the diversion of firearms to dangerous actors that they had voluntarily assumed when they entered the firearms business," said the lawsuits, filed on the third anniversary of the shooting. The suit says Century Arms may have also violated Vermont laws that prohibit large capacity magazines.
Century Arms is based in Delray Beach, Florida, but it has a facility in Georgia, Vermont, where the ROMARM firearms, listed on the company’s website as AK-style rifles, are modified to comply with U.S. law, according to the lawsuit.In most cases, federal law shields gun-makers from liability, but that could be changing.
Österreich Neuesten Nachrichten, Österreich Schlagzeilen
Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.
HBO teases ‘House of the Dragon’ to be their most dysfunctional family yetIt looks like the Targaryens are giving the Sopranos, the Roys and the Fishers a run for their money as the most dysfunctional family on HBO.
Weiterlesen »
Cooper Roberts, Young Boy Left Paralyzed in Highland Park Shooting, Released from PICU, Family SaysAn 8-year-old boy who was left paralyzed after the July 4 parade shooting in suburban Highland Park was released from the pediatric intensive care unit at Chicago’s Comer Children’s Hospital on Monday, his family said in a press release.
Weiterlesen »
Filipino family and standup come together in 'Easter Sunday'During a recent visit to the Bay Area, Jokoy explained he hopes that Filipinos will see themselves represented onscreen in a positive way and, at the same time, non-Filipinos will connect to the characters in a universal way.
Weiterlesen »
Fantastic Four Writer Reveals the Biggest Problem of Marvel's First FamilyFantastic Four's Dan Slott reveals the franchise issues he wanted his tenure to address. 'Fantastic Four is the whitest book ever. I created an alien race where everybody is Black or Asian or Black and Asian because, dear God, that was important to me.'
Weiterlesen »
Family of 14-year-old girl fatally shot by LA police files lawsuitThe parents of a 14-year-old girl killed by Los Angeles police in a clothing store last year have filed a lawsuit against the department and the officer whose rifle round pierced a dressing room wall.
Weiterlesen »
Friends, Family Admit They Expected Man’s Mental Breakdown To Look Completely DifferentMINNEAPOLIS—Though they had reportedly anticipated his psychological breakdown for the past several months, friends and family members of local man Lucas Whitford acknowledged Wednesday that the mental collapse the 32-year-old billing specialist was currently suffering looked entirely different than what they had…
Weiterlesen »