The lawyers representing Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz tried to withdraw from his death penalty trial after the judge ordered them to move forward with jury selection even though one of them has COVID-19. The judge said she didn't want more delays.
Scherer accused McNeill of trying to intentionally provide ineffectual counsel to Cruz by saying her team would not participate without Secor. At one point, Scherer recessed the hearing, telling McNeill to consult the Florida Bar over what sanctions she might face if she and her team refused to participate. She said four attorneys present for Cruz in the courtroom was enough.
Prosecutors found themselves in the middle. They originally agreed with the defense to delay the jury selection until Secor returned, but then told the judge she would be on solid legal ground if she decided to move forward without Secor. Scherer then adjourned court until later Monday afternoon. Jury selection, which originally had been scheduled to be concluded by mid-May, has slogged along, including a two-week delay when McNeill was sick with COVID-19.
Österreich Neuesten Nachrichten, Österreich Schlagzeilen
Similar News:Sie können auch ähnliche Nachrichten wie diese lesen, die wir aus anderen Nachrichtenquellen gesammelt haben.
Shooting death of 15-year-old stemmed from weed sale, accused killer told copsTwo men are charged in the May shooting death of a Vineland High School student.
Weiterlesen »
Uvalde family says goodbye to girl, 10, who dreamed of studying art in ParisAlithia Ramirez was one of the children killed in the Uvalde school shooting.
Weiterlesen »
Passenger Shot and Killed by Pedestrian in Oceanside was KinderCare TeacherChelsea Pacheco was riding in a car in Oceanside on Saturday afternoon when she and her friends got into an interaction with a pedestrian. As they drove away, the pedestrian opened fire and shot Pacheco and she died soon after.
Weiterlesen »